Thursday, January 21, 2010

keep it lose, keep it tight

I promise I'll get off my "live life to the fullest, cherish the people around you" sappy kick, but not quite yet. I'm just into life right now and if you're reading this, then I'm sorry to say, you're going to have to deal with it. :)

I'm reading an incredible book right now by my favorite author, Donald Miller. The book is called "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years." I've read almost every book this guy has written because he has such a refreshing take on life and Christianity. I highly recommend any of his books, believer or non-believer, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy any of them.

In this particular book, Miller talks a lot about how we create the stories of our lives and what it would be like to go back and edit them if we could. I came across a great quote while I was reading last night that really hit home for me.

"People love to have lived a great story, but few people like the work it takes to make it happen."

Simple, but so very true. Looking back, I've found that the most influential people on my life have been the ones that constantly put in the work to creating unique and memorable experiences in their lives- they created great stories. Which brings me to my next point... one that I've been hitting on a lot lately. Who are you surrounding yourself with? It's hard to create the great stories of your life if you're surrounding yourself with negative, passive, unmotivated people. When you go to heaven and you and God sit down to look back on the story of your life, what will you talk about? Will it be a great story or did you just do what you could to get by?

Make the change. Chase your passions. Pursue your goals. Create an amazing story.

"Sometimes we forget what we got
And who we are and who we are not
I think we got a chance to make it right..." Amos Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment